Thursday, July 7, 2011

Dear Dance (A Mama Kat Writing Prompt)

Mama's

This week, Kat's writing prompt number three asked: Do you love it or hate it? An open letter to your child's latest obsession. I have had my fill of snark lately, which is why I decided not to write an open letter to gaming, which seems bent on stealing every last one of my son's brain cells, or Toddlers and Tiaras, which my daughter loves to watch and I must admit I can hardly tear myself away from when I walk by.

Instead, I am taking a bit of liberty with the prompt and writing an open letter to dance, which has been a part of my daughter's life for a very long time.

Dear Dance,

After I excitedly announced to 3-year-old Tenley that I had signed her up for Junior Gym at preschool, she announced that she had to take ballet, which was a new option at the school. There was no arguing. She was going to take ballet.

Three-year-old Tenley with her first teacher, Miss Christa.

Dance, Tenley's love has roots as ancient as a dinosaur.

Tenley's First Dance Recital
Photo Credit: Active Images

Thanks to you, Tenley is as likely to be listening to "Carnival of the Animals" by Camille Saint-Saëns on her iPod as she is to "Shake That" by LMFAO.

You have given her role models.

Tenley with Amy Lowe, Owner of Performing Arts Center of Tallahassee

And friends galore.

Tenley and Friends
Day of Dance, February 2011
Photo Credit: Bill Lucas

And the thrill of doing what you love (and moving past animal costumes).

June 2011
Photo Credit: Bill Lucas

Admittedly, I still struggle with your expense and any requirement that involves altering costumes. But we will keep working it out.

In her dance program ad this year, I used the quote "Dancing faces you towards Heaven, whichever direction you turn," by Sweetpea Tyler.  Thank you, dance, for pointing Tenley towards Heaven. May she never lose sight of you.

Love,

A grateful mom.

9 comments:

Marie at the Lazy W said...

How sweet, what a wonderful lifelong love, and how proud you must be as a Momma! I am glad you took some liberty and wrote this open letter, I love it.

Visiting from Mama Kats
www.thelazyw.blogspot.com

Zebbie Nix said...

My sister-in-law Nancy referred your blog to me as I too have a 15 year old daughter who has danced since the age of 4. She dearly loves it and I volunteer, A LOT, at the dance studio. I couldn't help but notice your dilemma with your son and his video game habit. My 12 year old son has a similar obsession with Xbox. Sigh...... it seems to be a constant bone of contention there. What to do? This year's 3 week summer intensive for my daughter, I hope, is allowing for more quality time with my son to help him understand my opposition to his obsession with gaming, in favor of quality time with Mom!

Angie said...

I can't wait until my little gal is old enough for dance! :)

Found you at Mama Kat's

Brooke said...

How fun! I also can't wait until my baby is old enough to dance!

New follower through the Super Stalker hop!

http://brookiesbabybargains.blogspot.com

Mariah @ FormulaMom.com said...

I cannot wait to see what my passions my son ends up with! I'm sure I will have some that I love and some that I don't love quite as much!

I'm stopping by from this week's Super Stalker Sunday hop! Thanks for participating! I hope you'll join us again next week and I hope you'll stop by and visit me if you haven't already!
Mariah, Formula Mom

living for the planet said...

I am a new follower from the super stalker sunday blog hop. Feel free to stop by my blog http://www.organicplanet.blogspot.com/

Emily Stephens said...

Hi!

It must be a wonderful feeling to be able to provide your daughter with the ability to pursue her passion? I'm (sort of) excited for my son to grow up and find his passion, too!

Thanks so much for linking up with Super Stalker Sunday hop. There are several wonderful blogs participating this week, you're certain to find a few new favorites!

I look forward to reading more from you!

Your Co-Host,
Emily from Nap Time Is My Time

P.S. - I've recently switched from blogger to WordPress and had some issues when transferring the GFC widget. I'd really appreciate if you could double check to ensure you're following me!

Anonymous said...

Well my original post got knocked out. :-(
Following from Super Stalker Sunday via GFC and email.

Love seeing your daughter's progression.

Sisters 'N Cloth said...

What a sweet post! And a neat writing idea :) It makes me excited about seeing my children grow and develop their talents!

Hopping over from the Super Stalker blog hop. Already following via GFC, and now via Twitter as well (@sistersncloth).

Blessings,

Melissa
www.sistersncloth.com