Thursday, April 26, 2012

When I Am Alone...... (A Mama Kat Writing Prompt)



My Mama Kat prompt this week is:  List the top 10 things you miss about being alone. (Inspired by The Little Hen House).

When I was a child and our family visited amusement parks, I recall my parents allowing me to wander off on my own for hours at a time. I was happy as a clam. I still can't figure out why my overprotective parents let me do this (or why they didn't have me bring a friend), but I was happy. An entire park to explore, no one to haggle with over which ride to do first, lots of time to just observe.

When I am alone, I am free from being the official in between two young human beings who treat every verbal exchange as if it were a jump ball to be contested.

I miss being able to concentrate ..... on a book, a movie, on the task at hand.

I miss sleeping whenever and wherever I want.


I miss being able to decide exactly where and when I want to take pit stops on road trips.

I miss organizing things my way (even if my way doesn't look organized).

I miss living by myself in a big city, having to get from point A to point B but being able to do it at my pace, with the detours I want to take.

I miss eating for one (while reading a book). Something quick and healthy, but a meal that doesn't involve a production to make so I am not eating late and can get on with my night's plans.

I miss the fact that it's cheaper to pay for one person's admission into anything than it is to pay for two, three, or four people.

I miss having control of the remote.

I miss the fact that when I am alone, my mind can wander to what I appreciate and value most in life ......... the people who keep me from being alone.

 November 2008


Mama's

4 comments:

Patty said...

Your first line grabbed me and made me think about how much things have changed for children, the ability to wander in an open setting, away from immediate parental view.

I was shopping recently and, in the check-out line, smiled and said Hi to a little girl in front of me. She grabbed her mother's hand and turned her head. The mother quickly apologized to me then explained that the child had been taught never to acknowledge strangers.

One cannot argue with that type of logic, especially in present times.

Loved your post and have to admit that I agree with everything you miss...especially the remote!

Jen@runfortheboys said...

Your last thought expressed here says it all. Beautiful!

Dominique@Dominique's Desk said...

I too miss being able to sleep whenever I need and get enough sleep. Sleep went out the door since the kids arrived.

Jennifer Worrell said...

I miss the freedom and safety I used to enjoy as a kid...thanks for reminding me!!