Thursday, September 22, 2011

Where I'm From (A Mama Kat Writing Prompt)

This week, "assigned" me Mama Kat prompt number five: Your top ten Fall Fashion Favorites. BUT I am not writing to that prompt. I am out of town for a conference so I needed a prompt that did not involve a lot of pictures (and my clothes situation is so dismal right now that I can barely think of ten things to write about). I was pretty captivated, anyway, by prompt number two, the "Where I'm From" poem. The template for the poem can be found here (or at the bottom of this post)
Where I'm From

I am from other people's words bound between covers, from Advil and vacillating between being incessantly driven and wanting to fall asleep .... RIGHT HERE, RIGHT NOW.

I am from caution.

I am from tulips, the crops my grandfather Johnny grew, plowing the land with his mule.

I am from persisting despite poor odds and trying to keep people I love from getting hurt, from Letha and Seabie and some microscopic amount of Native American ancestry.

I am from the faith bound and frugal.

From being too fat and being a school kid younger than everyone else but just as smart or smarter.

I am from being saved, thinking Hell was a definite possibility if I didn't behave well and make pure choices.

I am from a Naval Air Station in Jacksonville, Florida, stewed tomatoes over rice and collard greens.

From the hope that led my mother to keep trying to have me after losing a baby at term, the southern women who read the obituaries first, and the parents who wouldn't buy something they did not have the cash for.

I am from people who used to grow the peas in the field, shell them while telling stories on the porch, and eat them together on Sunday afternoons.

I am from people who, if blogs had existed when I was a kid, would not have blogged about our family life.
Maybe my blog is my "porch" - a place where I come to share my stories - and hear yours.
Where are you from?


Here's the template:
The WHERE I’M FROM Template

I am from _______ (specific ordinary item), from _______ (product name) and _______.

I am from the _______ (home description… adjective, adjective, sensory detail).

I am from the _______ (plant, flower, natural item), the _______ (plant, flower, natural detail)

I am from _______ (family tradition) and _______ (family trait), from _______ (name of family member) and _______ (another family name) and _______ (family name).

I am from the _______ (description of family tendency) and _______ (another one).

From _______ (something you were told as a child) and _______ (another).

I am from (representation of religion, or lack of it). Further description.

I’m from _______ (place of birth and family ancestry), _______ (two food items representing your family).

From the _______ (specific family story about a specific person and detail), the _______ (another detail, and the _______ (another detail about another family member).

I am from _______ (location of family pictures, mementos, archives and several more lines indicating their worth).



Dianna said...

Visiting from Mama Kat's; this was also the prompt I chose today. I love reading everyone's story about what shaped our younger years.
Thanks for sharing yours - you did a great job!

Diane said...

Love the idea about the blog being the porch, a place to share stories. And I think I am one of those Southern women who always read the obituaries first when I got the paper. Now I'd rather just read blogs!

Summer K. said...

I remember sitting on the porch with my great grandmother and shelling peas and snapping beans. She taught me so many things. I miss those days so much!

The Drama Mama said...

I never had the back porch stories but I do believe that I would have been a terrific Southern belle. I love the way you put this together. It has such a nice flow to it.

Grams said...

I learned a lot about being a woman from women who talked while they sat on the porch and shelled peas.

I'm so enjoying reading everyone's response to this prompt.

Mry Jhnsn said...

very nice job :)

Galit Breen said...

Thank you for letting me onto your porch. I love the reveal that each line brought.

Teacher Girl said...

You did a great job! I was always the young kid too. it was hard, but I am glad I made it through and flourished as you did ;)