Thursday, January 19, 2012

My Breakfast "Scene" (A Mama Kat Writing Prompt)


This week, random.org "chose" Mama Kat prompt number four for me: Describe the scene at breakfast. 

What that prompt conjures up for me is a step-by-step of how I make this happen at my house, as a beloved family tradition on weekend mornings:


but it would be a blatant lie to say I do that.
It is also tempting to reminisce about Skeeter's, a restaurant in Gainesville that no longer exists. Their portions were just huge. I still fondly recall their over-the-top breakfasts, with pancakes whose edges hung over the rims of the platters upon which they were served. Skeeter's has come and gone, but darn they were good.

I ended up being pretty literal about this prompt. Having gotten the prompt yesterday, I decided to share this morning's breakfast with you. Thrilling, right?

Step One (almost always) is the coffee:
Step Two is a Sweet N Salty bar* and the first check-in with the world:

Step Three - I was traveling to Orlando with my co-workers (we left at 7 a.m.) so the Chick Fil-A was a decision point. The chicken biscuits and hash browns smelled so yummy but I opted for more coffee and a fruit cup (sorry for the fuzzy photo). I knew I had several hours ahead in the van, followed by more hours of meetings. It didn't make sense to stuff anything heavier into my stomach.

A note on fruit. Several months ago, I was inspired by this post by Shannon Colavecchio to add a piece of fruit to my diet a day. This "baby step" sounds so minor, but it has made a big difference to me.
So there you have it - the relatively mundane way I began this Wednesday. Even a mundane start contains opportunities to kick the day off with healthy(ier) choices.
For me, as long as I wash those healthy choices down with coffee, I'm good!
                                         
Mama's

*Note - I realize I am making some nutritional tradeoffs with this choice! Here's the deal. I first had these bars when Tenley and I went to Guatemala (we were instructed to take granola bars for between-meal snacks), so they bring back memories of that incredible trip. It also feels decadent to have just a hint of dark chocolate in the morning. Lastly, they're yummy. 

4 comments:

madamdreamweaver said...

I like how you use photos to tell your story along with words

Arnebya said...

My 2 yr old loves those bars. With an apple. It's hilarious. And can we switch mornings for a few days because GAH you have normalcy.

Cee Elle said...

Great photos, nice and simple. I envy you!!!

Visiting from Mama Kat's.

Morgan said...

Coffee is an indispensable part of my morning as well!

Visiting from Mama Kat's :)