Thursday, April 28, 2011

From "MomforLife" to "Perspicacity" (A Mama Kat Writing Workshop Prompt)

Mama's

I should have known something was up when Kat posted this week's writing prompts a day early. It wasn't just that she wanted us to have 24 more hours to craft witty, informative, emotionally available writing posts. Oh no, I am pretty sure it was because of the "bonus" prompt, the vlog prompt, encouraging us to:
Tell us the story behind the title of your blog. What is it? What inspired it? What other options did you consider? Are you happy with it?
Of course I couldn't resist. There were a few lessons learned along the way.
1) Spring for the webcam.
2) If you have not sprung for the webcam, but opted to rig up a funky cardboard box "tripod" and decide that the lighting would be best with the Florida sun streaming in behind you, don't order the camera battery that actually holds a charge from a mail order place the morning of the day when you will need a camera with a fully charged battery in order to re-do your vlog when you realize that the lighting decision you made was completely wrong and you should have done the opposite. It won't get there in time and the battery will die after your only take, the one with the crappy lighting.
3) See #1.
At any rate, here it is. I'm the one in the shadows whose mouth you can sort of see moving.



What'll you have for us next week, Kat? Something else for me to apply my "acute mental vision and discernment" to? Make it too nutty and you'll earn the nickname, "Kernish Kat"!

11 comments:

Queen Mahin said...

Hi Paula! It's funny, I got my blog name from a training, too. Queen Mahin wages peace. :)
Speaking of words that we like: I like the word effluvia because it sounds beautiful even though it is not.

Mama Kat said...

You're a doll Paula. How I do enjoy your Perpicatiousness. ;)

ps I post the prompts every Tuesday...no tricks up my sleeve I promise.

Jessica said...

My favorite word is quiet.

Alison said...

I like your word Paula. My favorite word is oxymoron. For its meaning and well, the word 'moron' is in there. Which is my 2nd favorite word.

Nicole @MTDLBlog said...

Yay Paula! You jumped into Vlogging too! Well done on the editing! :-) I have to agree with Jessica, quiet is a beautiful word....LOL.

Unknown said...

I totally had my camera on a cardboard box "tripod"! Good job with your vlog!

Paulette said...

LOVED YOU IT!

I too had my camera propped up on I don't know how many things to get the job done. I also fought battery life of said camera cause one take just didn't get it done.

Watching your Vlog, I learned a new word and said atta girl! when you told about writing your word on black board w/definition.

As for my word, it's not actual word so much as a phrase. I don't get to use it often these days, seeing as how I'm not a teen anymore and all.

My phrase:

I hate it with a flying, flaming, purple passion!!!

Visiting from Mama Kats =)

The Reason You Come said...

That was fun to watch! Loved the props, and loved that you showed pictures of your family. (I was thinking to myself, why didn't I do that?) I think you've got a really cool, intelligent-sounding blog name. :)

Amy said...

great vlog :) it is fun to get a voice to hear now when I read your posts.

i don't have a favorite word - i'm guessing that is probably why I take so many pictures. :)

Karen said...

Now that I'm seeing all these vlogs, it's so nice to be able to read posts and hear the voice behind them! Great job for the first time. I bet if you talk to vloggers who've done it a million times and they'd still critique their work and say they have more to learn. I've so enjoyed seeing the explanations of how blogs got their names.

Kristi {at} Live and Love...Out Loud said...

You are just too cute! I love that you spared no expense with your props. ;) If I had to choose a word to describe me that also starts with the first letter of my name, it would be kissable. Because a) I really am kissable and b) I couldn't think of another word that started with a "K" that wasn't stupid. Killer. Kitschy. They all sucked! lol