Thursday, December 29, 2011

Best of 2011 (A Mama Kat Writing Prompt)


This week, I chose to highlight my twelve favorite posts of 2011. Mama Kat's prompt technically instructed us to pick the best post of each month of the year, but mine is a little more haphazard than that - some months were better than others!

The vast majority of my favorite posts were the ones which helped someone else's cause, such as:

Transforming Lives One Car at a Time, a January post which introduced my readers to Tallahassee's Teen Challenge program, which helps men with drug, alcohol and other life controlling problems.


Nothing, a May post about cyber-bullying and how neither bullied children or bullies are "nothing."


My June post entitled Help Lauren Spierer Surface. Lauren is still missing. My heart breaks for her parents with every day that passes with no answers.


My August post Hope for a Family - Carla's Family, which was the main social media vehicle I used to try to secure a sponsor for Carla from Guatemala. She hasn't been sponsored yet but I still have hope!

Be That Adult, a November post I wrote about my experience with unwanted sexual advances by a trusted adult. I was very honored that Stop It Now linked to this post in their commentary about the Penn State - Sandusky Situation.




Lastly, the December guest post by my niece, Kris, about her father's suicide. If Chuck Kiger - One of the 30,000 Per Year helps even one family avoid this type of tragedy, it will be a good thing.


I also thoroughly enjoyed my photography posts, like A-"Maze" ing Corn. I have no illusions of changing the world of art with my point and shoot camera, but it sure is fun. I mean, seriously, flip flops in corn plants?

                                                                

I usually end up talking about running, yoga, and fitness a few times during the year. I felt strongly about this September post, Do Stretching and Yoga Help Runners? It's a "Stretch" to assume they don't. I believe yoga has completely changed my running (and my life) for the better.

                                                

Lastly, my blogging helped me pay tribute and say "good-bye" (for now) to people who have made a difference to me. One example was my December post about the FSU Film BFA Class of 2011, Elephants, Flowers, and the BFA Class of 2011.

                                                    

And this tribute to my yoga teacher and friend, partially because I had fun writing it and partially because this squirrel picture just makes me laugh every time I look at it.


This year has been sort of like this squirrel - strong, with welcome touches of humor.

Wonder what 2012 will bring.



Mama's

4 comments:

Jennie@gotmyreservations said...

I really emjoyed your corn maze photos! Stopping by from Mama Kat's.

Jennifer Wolfe said...

Looking forward to reading all these posts! Glad I found your blog!

SevenSentences said...

Wow there is some really good stuff happening here. I can't wait to read a little more!

Congrats
Geoff

Becky Joy said...

These were great. It sounds like some interesting posts. Love that squirrel too!